Veteran Education Benefits

The Penn State Great Valley Veteran Request for Enrollment Verification

VA Education Benefits

  • For veterans of the U.S. Armed Services eligible for VA Education Benefits, you may also visit the Penn State Great Valley Financial Aid office for a VA Packet.



  • Go to 
  • Click on education benefits then education forms
  • Electronically complete the appropriate VA form below.
    • First-time VA education benefit recipients use VA form 22-1990: Application for VA Education Benefits.  Attach or mail a copy of your DD-214 and information for direct deposit.
    • For continuation of VA education benefits at Penn State Great Valley after having attended a different school or program complete the VA form 22-1995: Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Include information for direct deposit.
  • Return the following forms to the Penn State Great Valley Office of Student Aid:
  • Schedule classes for both Sessions I & II of the semester as soon as registration opens
    • If you add/drop after the semester begins please contact the Penn State Great Valley Office of Student Aid
    • Your enrollment report must be revised by the school and sent to the VA even if you have reported changes on WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)
  • Complete your registration for your scheduled courses.
    • Pay your bill
    • This will make you an enrolled student because you will have completed your registration.

Penn State Tuition Payments

  • Pay the Penn State tuition charges by the billing date, and VA Ed Benefits will reimburse you
  • Or you can borrow a Direct Federal Stafford Loan in addition to receiving VA benefits

Required Student Monthly Enrollment Reporting to the VA by Chapters 30, 1606 & 1607

  • During 2009-10 it is possible that Ch. 33 will also need to report.  Check for updates
  • On the last day of the month you must verify your enrollment with the VA -
    • Click on Information for Benefit Recipients then Verify your Attendance on WAVE. On WAVE you can also report changes in your enrollment 
  • You cannot do this earlier in the month
  • If you wait a week, payment will be delayed
  • Payment for the previous month will be issued within 14 days after you submit your enrollment verification. No payments are made by the VA without the student verification

School Reporting to the VA

  • Penn State Great Valley Office of Student Aid will send school certification of your enrollment to the VA before the start of each semester. We are required to certify your initial enrollment and must also update the VA if you make any course changes.
  • We will include both Session I and II courses in the enrollment certification.
  • If you change your enrollment, please contact us.

VA Benefit Payment Amounts

  • For all programs except Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), your VA payments are based on dates of attendance in your courses and are made monthly for the previous month about 7 days AFTER you file the Student Verification of Enrollment with the VA.  If you attend for part of a month, your monthly check is pro-rated.  Payments are directly deposited in your bank account.
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33): tuition payments are made by the VA to the school. Depending on your length of active duty the number of credits you take and the length of your courses you may or may not have prorated benefits.  The VA tuition benefits are lower than the SGPS tuition charges in most cases.  You will be responsible for the balance owed.
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33): if you are eligible for housing allowance or stipend for books and supplies, those funds are sent directly to you by the VA. (The housing allowance budget is based on the school’s ZIP code.)


  • Contact the VA by e-mail through   Click on Questions and Answers. Your questions are answered generally within 48 hours or less.
  • For questions about your VA record by phone: 888/442-4551. 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., central time. There may be a long wait.
  • For Penn State Great Valley questions, phone 610-648-3311 or e-mail

Licensing and Certification Tests

  • To use VA Education Benefits for licensing and certification tests contact the VA for information at
  • Click on Education Benefits, then Education Programs Covered by the GI Bill, then Licensing & Certification.

Military Officers Association of America Scholarship Search

National Guard Education Benefits

  • See the education officer of your unit about qualifying for education benefits as an active member of the National Guard.  Forms are supplied by the National Guard and signed by commanding officers. They are sent directly to the funding source, and awards are paid to your student account at PSU at the start of the semester. You should pay your tuition bill before class starts. Refunds are given for any surplus arising. In Pennsylvania, undergraduates receive priority for these funds, and graduate consideration is secondary as the National Guard budget allows. Some activated National Guard are eligible for VA Benefits. Visit for more information.