Commencement | May 3, 2013
Commencement 2013 Awards and Slide Show
The School of Graduate Professional Studies will celebrate its 23rd annual Commencement on Friday, May 3, in the Conference Center Building on the grounds of the Penn State Great Valley Campus in Malvern, Pa.
Students graduating in Summer 2012, Fall 2012, and Spring 2013 are eligible to participate in this year’s ceremony.
Our annual Commencement Ceremony is a joyous time for students and their families and friends. It commemorates the completion of your educational goal and allows family and friends to participate in a celebration of that completion.We hope that all students graduating during the 2012-13 academic year will plan to participate in the ceremony.
All 2012-13 graduating students will receive a mailing in early February 2013 with details about the Commencement Ceremony and the steps they must complete related to the planning for this important event. Spring graduating students and Summer and Fall grads will receive a hard copy mailing at their home address.
The information below highlights key points in that mailing.
The Commencement ceremonies will take place as follows:
- Management Division Programs: 3:00 p.m. Friday, May 3 (Graduates participating in this ceremony must be at the campus by 2:15 p.m. in order to prepare for the procession.)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Leadership Development
- Education Division Programs: 7:00 p.m. Friday, May 3 (Graduates participating in this ceremony must be at the campus by 6:15 p.m. in order to prepare for the procession.)
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Instructional Systems
- Special Education
- Engineering Division Programs: 7:00 p.m. Friday, May 3 (Graduates participating in this ceremony must be at the campus by 6:15 p.m. in order to prepare for the procession.)
- Engineering Management
- Information Science
- Software Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- The ceremonies will take place in the Musser Auditorium of Great Valley’s Conference Center Building.
- A reception with light refreshments in The Conference Center will follow each ceremony; all graduates and their guests are invited to attend.
- Diplomas for spring grads will be mailed from the University Registrar’s Office beginning in late May.
In order to help prepare for graduation and the Commencement ceremony, please complete the following steps:
- Commencement RSVP Form
Commencement Ceremony Tickets
- We ask that all 2012-13 graduating students complete the Commencement “RSVP Form”, whether they plan to attend the ceremony or not.
- Click here to access the RSVP Form (available February 5). Complete the form and click “Submit” at the bottom. Deadline for submission is Friday, March 22 at 5:00 p.m.
- Place your academic regalia order (indicate height for regalia) on the RSVP Form, and it will be forwarded to the Penn State Great Valley Bookstore for processing.
- Additional instructions and information about Commencement will be sent to you after your “RSVP Form” is received.
- It is critical for the University to have your correct home and local address in order to mail pertinent graduation information and prepare diplomas. If you are a current student, you can check and update your address on eLion. Students who are not currently enrolled should contact the Penn State Great Valley Registration Office at 610-648-3275 to update their addresses. Currently enrolled students also should check their Webmail frequently.
Caps, Gowns, and Hoods
- Tickets are required for all guests, including small children.
- Each graduate may obtain a maximum of four tickets for seating: two tickets are for guest seating in the Musser Auditorium and two tickets are for guest seating in rooms near the Auditorium to view the ceremony via live video feed.
- Due to limited space, additional tickets likely will not be available. Update: As of April 29, some extra Auditorium tickets are available. Contact the Registrar's Office at 610-648-3275.
- Important: You must submit a Commencement “RSVP Form” in order to qualify for tickets. Your RSVP Form must be received by Friday, March 22 at 5:00 p.m. in the PSGV Registration Office or via electronic submission.
- Tickets will be distributed at Penn State Great Valley in the Registration Office beginning Monday, April 8 through Friday, April 12. Tickets may be picked up during regular business hours, Monday through Thursday between 8:30 a.m. and 6:15 p.m., and on Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Tickets also may be picked up on Saturday, April 13 between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Tickets will be distributed only to participating students. Please show your Penn State student ID or other photo ID when picking up tickets.
Class Rings, Diploma Frames
- All graduating students who participate in the ceremony must wear the academic regalia appropriate for their degree status.
- You should order your regalia on the Commencement RSVP Form (indicate your height).
- Cap, gown, and hood orders can be picked-up at the campus Bookstore during regular business hours, Monday through Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and on Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. between April 1 and April 19.
- The cost is $90 plus tax, and payment is due at the time of pick-up. You may arrange to pre-pay and have your order shipped to you ($6.95) by contacting the Bookstore at 610-648-3213.
- For more information, contact the Bookstore at 610-648-3213. Bookstore hours are Monday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and on Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- A representative from Josten’s will be in the lobby of the Main Building at Great Valley to assist you in purchasing a class ring on Monday, April 8 and Tuesday, April 9 from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m.
- The Penn State Great Valley Bookstore carries diploma frames.
- All graduating students who meet the deadline for indicating their intent to graduate will be listed in the Commencement program, which is distributed to all participants and guests during the ceremony.
- The ceremony lasts about one hour and fifteen minutes and includes the following:
- Academic Procession
- National Anthem
- Commencement Address
- Authorization to Confer Degrees
- Conferring of Degrees
- Hooding of Graduates
- Outstanding Student Achievement Awards
- Student Speaker on behalf of the Graduates
- Alumni Welcome
- Alma Mater
We are very proud of your accomplishments at the School of Graduate Professional Studies and hope that you will participate in your Commencement Ceremony!
If you have questions, please email the Commencement Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduating students who gave their contact information directly to the photographers from Grad Images in the robing rooms will get their photo proofs automatically.
Students who did not give their contact information to the Grad Images photographers may now contact Grad Images to arrange to get their proofs. Please call the Grad Images customer service office at 1-800-261-2576.