Course Logistics

ANGEL Course Management Tool

Most Continuing Professional Education courses utilize the Penn State University Course Management Tool, ANGEL, which enables students to electronically view assignments, access team journals, receive group mail, participate in discussion forums, etc. You will receive instruction on using this tool during your first class.

An FPS is created when a student registers online for a CPE course. Students who do not register online (phone, walk-in, etc.) must create an FPS account at Click "Create an Account" and follow the instructions to Submit. You will receive an email verifying your account. IMPORTANT:  Please provide the CPE office with your FPS Account prior to the first day of class (email or call 610-648-3281) to be added to the ANGEL group for your course. (An FPS acount is 3 initials and 4 digits, ex. sok5127.)   


The Continuing Professional Education Unit is a nationally recognized unit of measure used to accumulate a standardized permanent record of an individual’s participation in noncredit continuing professional education programs conducted under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. Units are awarded based on a standard of 1 unit per ten hours of instructional contact.

Class Size

A maximum class size is established for all courses. Class size is determined by the facility resources. “Overbooking” is not possible. Please register early to assure a space in the course/s you want. Please call the Continuing Professional Education office if you want to register for a class that is "closed". We will notify you if a seat becomes available.

Computer User Accounts - Technology Students Only

All registered Continuing Professional Education students enrolled in technology courses will be issued a short-term computer user account referred to as a “SLIM” account, which will expire when the course ends. This account consists of a User ID and password, which enables technology students to use lab computers. SLIM Accounts are necessary to provide security for both the student and the University and are different from the PSU ID. A SLIM account will be issued to each registered technology student at the first session of the course. To activate your SLIM Account you will need to visit a Signature Station in the Library (ground floor, Main) or the Admissions Office (first floor, Main) with your PSU ID and some other form of identification (driver's license, etc.). 

Course Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel classes because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. Full refunds will be given in these events. In such an event, you will be notified prior to the beginning of class either by telephone, mail, or email. It is important we have up-to-date addresses and phone numbers to contact you.

Course Substitutions

You may substitute a higher level course for a required course if you are already competent in an area. You may also substitute a higher level course for a required course if you have already applied a required course to another certificate. Contact the Program Manager for pre-approval. A maximum of two courses may be substituted in a certificate program.


An official grade report will be sent to you from University Park within three weeks after classes end. Grade letters are not issued for Pass/Fail courses.  Contact the Continuing Professional Education Office if your employer requires a grade letter for a Pass/Fail course. Please be aware that it is against University policy to release grades by telephone, fax or email.


Certificate Programs: If a course is not listed as a “required” course, it is NOT applicable towards a certificate. Please check with the Continuing Professional Education Office if you have any questions about prerequisites.

Individual Courses: You must complete all prerequisites required in the course description before taking a course. You may meet requirements either through course work or work experience. Instructors can evaluate work experience. Contact the Program Manager if you have a question. Please review our Withdrawal/Refund policy. No accommodations will be made if you attempt to take courses without complying with the prerequisite requirements.

Program Certificates

Students who have successfully completed all required program courses will receive a program certificate. Program certificates will be sent to the student name and address in our University system. It is your responsibility to advise the Registration Office of any changes in your contact information.


The social security number (SSN) you provide when you first enroll in any Penn State University (PSU) program will be used by the University to verify your identity for official record keeping and reporting. If you choose not to supply your SSN, certain services, such as transcripts, enrollment verification, Act 48 recording, etc., may not be available to you and Penn State cannot guarantee a complete academic record for you.

Your SSN will then be stored in a central system and only used for official reporting and record keeping. It will not be used as a primary source to identify you within the Penn State system.  The University will assign you a PSU ID (a 9-digit number beginning with the number 9) which will be utilized as the primary identifier. It is your responsibility to retain this number and safeguard its confidentiality.  The PSU ID will be requested in most Penn State transactions to identify you. This number will be on your Registration Confirmation. It is important that you use this same PSU ID each time you enroll in a University course to assure your coursework is documented on a single transcript. If you do not remember your PSU ID, please call our Registration Office at 610-648-3274. 


Students can find information about which textbooks are required for their upcoming class by going to the Penn State Great Valley home page and clicking on the “Quick Links – Bookstore” url at the top of the page. Fill in the required semester/course information under Textbooks/Find Textbooks”.


Official transcripts must be ordered from University Park with a Transcript Request form available on the campus Web site. There is no other way to obtain an official transcript. Penn State Great Valley administrators are not allowed to request a transcript on your behalf. 

Unexpected Class Cancellation

Unexpected class cancellations will be announced via email. Please make sure the email you provide when you register is one you have access to during regular business hours. If you do not have access to email during business hours, please make arrangements with the Continuing Professional Education office, and your instructor, for alternative means of notification.